Archives for December 2011

Author’s Celebration

Students shared their published personal narrative stories and realistic fiction stories with parents. It was a proud moment for kids and parents alike.

     

     

 

 

 

Our Interview of Mr. Chambers Sr: A local Civil Rights Leader

Today we met Marvin Chambers. He was a local Civil Rights leader, working to change segregation in our town.  He is also the grandfather of one of our classmates. We learned that he helped start ASCORE, which stands for Avl Student Congress of Racial Equality.  ASCORE changed the segregation of our town.

Students remembered  these comments from his visit:

We learned that black schools always got hand-me-down books.

We learned that they couldn’t go out on the street by themselves, if they were a black.

5% of the people made the other 95% suffer.

 

Click on the movie below to view clips from the interview.

 

Buddy Classes

Seventh grade and third grade get together to make pinwheels and share ideas about peace. 

     

     

     

Grandparent’s Day

We studied courageous leaders of the Civil Rights Movement. Students prepared reader’s theater performanced based MLK Jr and Shirley Chisholm. They did a great job, don’t you think?

Ms.Francine Delany

Ms.Francine Delany was the first woman to graduate  from UNCA.  She died of cancer. Our school is named after her, so we honor her.