Building Community

Students share about each others special places, influential people, hobbies, interests, and memories. photo (28)

Gum Should Not Be Allowed at School

Gum Should Not Be Allowed at School

Our Interview of Mr. Chambers Sr: A local Civil Rights Leader

Today we met Marvin Chambers. He was a local Civil Rights leader, working to change segregation in our town.  He is also the grandfather of one of our classmates. We learned that he helped start ASCORE, which stands for Avl Student Congress of Racial Equality.  ASCORE changed the segregation of our town.

Students remembered  these comments from his visit:

We learned that black schools always got hand-me-down books.

We learned that they couldn’t go out on the street by themselves, if they were a black.

5% of the people made the other 95% suffer.

 

Click on the movie below to view clips from the interview.

 

Grandparent’s Day

We studied courageous leaders of the Civil Rights Movement. Students prepared reader’s theater performanced based MLK Jr and Shirley Chisholm. They did a great job, don’t you think?

Ms. Annie

Ms. Annie is our new assitant teacher until December. She is very nice. We hope we will have a happy time with her.