History of US: The First Americans

 

Studying the Mound Builders

Studying the Mound Builders

We have been reading History of US: The First Americans together as a class, and now students will be working on a social studies research project in small groups. Each group is learning about people that lived in different regions of the US: Great Plains, Pacific Northwest, Cliff Dwellers in the Southwest, People of the Longhouse/Iroquois, and the Mound builders. The project was introduced last week going over: strategies to read and discuss nonfiction, attention to text features, gathering appropriate resources, note taking, and recording sources. We have been learning the 5 strands of SS (geography, culture, civics & government, economics and history) so students are looking for these aspects of each region/people they study. We are also working on reading and learning SS through a “Social Justice lens” with the use of the Social Justice topic handout in SSNB. Ask your child what they are learning. Feel free to add to our resources with  your own or a visit to the library or good website suggestions.

 

Studying the People of the Longhouse

Studying the People of the Longhouse

Snakes are not Very Mean( or Scary)

Snakes are not very mean(or scary)

Include Everyone

You should include everyone. When you exclude,you feel lonely. There are 4 reasons to include.

The 1st reason is because you get left out. Everyone runs to a partner. They care about their friends and they want to be with their friends.

The 2nd reason is because you have more friends.You include everyone to have friends.

The 3rd reason is because you have no one to play with.You have:no friends and you don’t make friends.

The final reason is because you can bring people in the conversation. You can bring people inthe conversation so youcan hang out.

Our Interview of Mr. Chambers Sr: A local Civil Rights Leader

Today we met Marvin Chambers. He was a local Civil Rights leader, working to change segregation in our town.  He is also the grandfather of one of our classmates. We learned that he helped start ASCORE, which stands for Avl Student Congress of Racial Equality.  ASCORE changed the segregation of our town.

Students remembered  these comments from his visit:

We learned that black schools always got hand-me-down books.

We learned that they couldn’t go out on the street by themselves, if they were a black.

5% of the people made the other 95% suffer.

 

Click on the movie below to view clips from the interview.

 

Grandparent’s Day

We studied courageous leaders of the Civil Rights Movement. Students prepared reader’s theater performanced based MLK Jr and Shirley Chisholm. They did a great job, don’t you think?