Building Community

Students share about each others special places, influential people, hobbies, interests, and memories. photo (28)

Celebrating the 50th Anniversary of “I Have A Dream”

photo (27)Today students wrote about actions we need to take to realize the dream.

Ideas:

  • stand up for yourself & others
  • recognize differing feelings and beliefs
  • realize we are all the same
  • realize we are all different
  • be aware of what’s happening around you

Technology

How thecnoligy is ruining our lives

There Are More Reasons To Be Inclusive Than Exclusive

The following is a public service announcement encouraging people to be inclusive.

Our Interview of Mr. Chambers Sr: A local Civil Rights Leader

Today we met Marvin Chambers. He was a local Civil Rights leader, working to change segregation in our town.  He is also the grandfather of one of our classmates. We learned that he helped start ASCORE, which stands for Avl Student Congress of Racial Equality.  ASCORE changed the segregation of our town.

Students remembered  these comments from his visit:

We learned that black schools always got hand-me-down books.

We learned that they couldn’t go out on the street by themselves, if they were a black.

5% of the people made the other 95% suffer.

 

Click on the movie below to view clips from the interview.