Kindergarten Buddies


Our Interview of Mr. Chambers Sr: A local Civil Rights Leader

Today we met Marvin Chambers. He was a local Civil Rights leader, working to change segregation in our town.  He is also the grandfather of one of our classmates. We learned that he helped start ASCORE, which stands for Avl Student Congress of Racial Equality.  ASCORE changed the segregation of our town.

Students remembered  these comments from his visit:

We learned that black schools always got hand-me-down books.

We learned that they couldn’t go out on the street by themselves, if they were a black.

5% of the people made the other 95% suffer.


Click on the movie below to view clips from the interview.


Grandparent’s Day

We studied courageous leaders of the Civil Rights Movement. Students prepared reader’s theater performanced based MLK Jr and Shirley Chisholm. They did a great job, don’t you think?

Ms. Annie

Ms. Annie is our new assitant teacher until December. She is very nice. We hope we will have a happy time with her.



        We are studying plants in science. We planted snow peas in our teacher’s garden. We made a map of the community garden. We dug up sweet potatoes. They grow underground. They are delicate to pull up. They are ready when the leaves are yellow. It was extraordinary to go on a salad hunt, looking for ingredients. The salad was delicious, so was our salsa. The butternut squash was scrumptious. It was different that regular squash.

     The parts of the plant are crucial to survival of the plant. All the parts working together make a system. Plants need water, nutrients from soil, and light.

    The different parts of soil are sand, silt and clay, when mixed together they make loam. Humus is composed of rotten leaves, wood and decaying plants. Mr. J from Arboretum the a taught us the different types of soil. We had soil probes to sample the school’s soil.